NSW mum in court after 'drowning attempt'

A mass search of the Murray is being conducted on Friday morning

Mum 'tried to DROWN her two sons, 9 and 5, in a river before a hero pitbull came to their rescue'

A DRUG addict mum has been charged with one count of attempted murder after she allegedly tried to drown her two sons in the Murray River.

"It will rock the community of Australia", he said in a press conference Friday.

"It's a bad story, it's a sad story".

About 25 to 30 searchers are combing the river for the boy's missing 5-year-old brother from NSW and Victoria Police, SES and the rural bushfire service.

"Without any communication by your office (or police) or agreement from our client, (she) was released from jail. and taken to our client's home with no regard for the AVO in place protecting our client", it read.

The woman will appear in Deniliquin Bail Court on Saturday after being extradited from Victoria to New South Wales.

After the boy's disappearance a search was launched and at about 11.35am on Saturday a body, believed to be that of the five-year-old, was located in the water, police said in a statement.

Marine Rescue NSW search the Murray River in Moama this morning. "The actual circumstances are unknown", Supt Condon said.

The story Mother allegedly tried to drown two sons in Murray River: police first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.

Lawyers for the boys' grandmother said their client blames the Department of Community Corrections and the police for the tragedy, after their "lack of communication and support in essentially off-loading the housing of her daughter to our client".

It has been transported to Deniliquin and is still to be formally identified but police believe it to be that of the woman's missing five-year-old son. It's a tragic story. "We all live in hope".

She said her partner and his friend were on the property at the time and helped save the child when they found him in the river.

"I've been crying all day", a local trader said. And the child [in hospital] has lost his mother and probably his brother, it will change his life forever.

Police arrived on scene just after 7pm Thursday, where they found the older boy suffering severe dog bite wounds, and the mother and the five-year-old boy missing.

Police at the scene of last night's dog attack on the nine-year-old boy who is now in a Melbourne hospital. She was released and then went to the police station for questioning. "He requires some surgery for the dog bites and of course he's distressed; he's a nine-year-old boy". Victorian Police divers have also been searching the river.

"It's anticipated there will be a further charge", he told the court.

"It's devastating. My police are devastated, the community is devastated".

2 inmates killed in incident at Nebraska prison
Railways set to make Aadhaar mandatory for booking tickets from April 1