Aust woman's headphones explode on flight

The woman was sleeping two hours into her flight from Beijing to Australia when she said she heard a loud explosion and felt her face begin to burn

Safety warning after passenger's headphones explode on Beijing to Melbourne flight

She told the ATSB she then felt burning on her face, before the headphones slipped around her neck.

Once she realized what was going on the headphones were thrown to the floor where they continued to spark and flames were visible.

She tried to stamp the small fire out with her foot, and flight attendants doused the fire with a bucket of water.

According to one woman, the small blaze affected some other passengers, who were "coughing and choking" for the rest of the flight.

According to CNN, the headphones were sparking and smoking when she woke up, and she whipped them off her head and onto the floor of the plane.

Photos published online show the woman with a blackened face and blisters on her hands.

Her hand was also burned and has now blistered and her hair and eyebrows were singed.

In this particular incident, the ATSB said the batteries in the headphones likely caused the fire. The battery and cover were both melted and stuck to the floor of the aircraft. The headphones were put into a bucket at the rear of the plane. Instead they suggest keeping a close watch on your tech, and if your phone "has fallen into the seat gap, locate the device before moving powered seats".

Earlier in 2016, Samsung Electronics's halted the production of their Note 7 smartphones after several sets caught fire due to flaws in batteries.

The ATSB declined to give the brand name. He advised travelers to carry any spare batteries in a separate plastic bag within carry-on luggage.

Samsung blamed faulty lithium-ion batteries, which it was said were overheating and causing the device to catch fire. It soon began hissing and emitting smoke before catching fire.

The incident comes after Samsung recalled millions of Galaxy Note 7 phones past year following multiple incidents of the device's batteries exploding or catching fire.

Local Penney stores are not on the closure list
New global rugby calendar from 2020