No need for Trump's approval to use massive bomb

Government: 36 Islamic State fighters killed by massive bomb

Afghanistan: Massive US bomb kills 36 Islamic State fighters

The Pentagon announced Thursday that a MOAB had been dropped on tunnels used by a network of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in the Achin district of Afghanistan's Nangarhar province.

Security experts say IS had built their redoubts close to civilian homes, but the government said thousands of local families had already fled the area in recent months of fighting.

There was no immediate comment from the Islamic State group or other militants regarding the US bomb attack.

"This was the right weapon against the right target", Army Gen. John Nicholson, the USA commander in Afghanistan, said. The Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB), as it is officially called - or the "Mother of all bombs," as it's become known - sent a mushroom-like cloud towering into the sky.

The massive bomb terrified villagers 20 miles away across the border in Pakistan with a blast they described as earsplitting.

Earlier Friday, the Afghan Defense Ministry, based on initial findings, said that 36 IS militants were killed by the attack.

Mr. Shinwari insisted there were "no military and civilian casualties at all". No civilian casualties have been reported yet by the USA or Afghan military.

Pakistani villagers living near the frontier said the explosion was so loud they thought a bomb had been dropped in their village by USA warplanes targeting militants in Pakistan.

In the footage, the bomb can be seen streaking down from the sky and onto the valley of a mountain.

Nangarhar's Achin district is the birthplace of Islamic State in Afghanistan. "So we have incredible leaders of the military and incredible military, and we are very proud of them, and this was another very successful mission", Trump said.

The United States, as part of its counterterrorism mission in Afghanistan, has been helping Afghan forces battle the local ISIS branch known as Islamic State-Khorasan Province since previous year.

Inamullah Meyakhil, a spokesperson for the central hospital in eastern Nangarhar, said they had received no dead or wounded from the attack.

A number of Kabul residents however saw this as a positive step, saying they believe after this U.S Forces will step up efforts to fight insurgents.

The Site Intelligence Group, which tracks extremist organizations, reported Friday on a statement from the Afghan Taliban that condemned the USA for its "terrorist" attack.

In Helmand province, at least 11 civilians were killed and one injured in two roadside bomb blasts late on Friday evening, said Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor.

"Still, from a strategic standpoint, there is an unsettling takeaway here: the USA pulled off a huge shock and awe mission against an enemy that isn't even the top threat to the United States in Afghanistan".

Prosecution rests case in fatal Pa. trooper ambush
PA Senate Committee to Vote on Guns in Schools