Mother sues Portland hospital after she accidentally smothered her baby


Mother sues Portland hospital after she accidentally smothered her baby

A United States mother who accidentally smothered her newborn son as she slept is suing the hospital where his death occurred for $8.6m (£6.6m).

Monica Thompson said she was still under the effects of strong pain medication when a nurse brought her son Jacob to her hospital bed at Portland Adventist Medical Centre to breastfeed at 3am on 6 August 2012.

Now, five years later and the mother of a healthy toddler, Monica is seeking justice for herself - and for Jacob.

The grieving mother alleged that the hospital is at fault after nurses brought the baby into her room to breastfeed at around 3 a.m., after she was heavily medicated with Ambien and Vicodin.

According to court documents, Mrs Thompson woke up an hour after nurses had left the baby with her, finding him unresponsive in her arms.

"She called for a nurse while she tried to get him to respond", according to the suit.

The infant suffered severe brain damage and his parents removed him from life support six days later, Oregon Live reported.

A spokesperson for the hospital said they can not comment on an ongoing lawsuit.

She claims she is owed a further $8million claiming the hospital has "directly caused her severe emotional distress, severe depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, severe anxiety and prolonged grief disorder". When the OR mom awoke about an hour later, she found her son still in her arms but unresponsive.

The Portland Adventist Medical Center said in a statement: "This was a tragic event and our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the family. We are reviewing the claims being made and we are unable to provide any additional information at this time".

Adding, 'My firstborn and only son.

Due to the extensive lack of oxygen the baby boy endured, he suffered significant brain damage, the Daily Mail reports.

He was transferred to the NICU of a different hospital and spent six days on life support before Thompson and her husband, Graham, made the hard decision to terminate his life support at the recommendation of doctors, the complaint notes. "But their biggest hope is that other hospitals don't do this and it can set clear policies for their nurses to avoid something as senseless as dropping off a child for breastfeeding to a mom loaded with narcotics and painkillers".

"She tried to stimulate her son's suckling reflexes without success".

Tragically Jacob's death came after the Thompsons struggled with infertility for 12 years before they became pregnant with Jacob in 2012.

They also recommend placing babies in the same room where the parents sleep but not the same bed, breastfeeding as much and as for long as mothers can (reduces risks of SIDS), keeping babies away from smokers and places where people smoke, and keeping the baby at comfortable temperatures as hot temperatures increase the risk of SIDS.