China protests USA ship near South China Sea island


China protests USA ship near South China Sea island

"The US destroyer's actions have violated Chinese and worldwide laws، as well as severely harmed China's sovereignty and security،" Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said in a statement.

The USS John S McCain destroyer cnducted a fereedom of navigation patrol in disputed waters of the South China Sea on Thursday.

The spokesperson said China has indisputable sovereignty over Nansha Qundao and its adjacent waters and the recent acts of the USA warships violated worldwide law.

The U.S. "freedom of navigation" operation has been previously conducted near China's reclaimed islands, called the Spratlys, or Nansha Islands, claimed also by the Philippines, Vietnam and Taiwan, among others.

The operation occurred at an awkward and tense moment in the region, amid the war of words between the United States and North Korea.

A US Navy official said a Chinese frigate sent radio warnings at least 10 times to the USS McCain. The reports, he said, have to be scrutinized for accuracy in order to preserve the interest of the claimant nations, such as between Vietnam and China.

China on Wednesday expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to Japan's defence white paper for 2017 which accused Beijing of trying to change the status quo in the East and South China Sea based on "its own assertions".

China today expressed its "strong dissatisfaction" with the USA over the sail-by.

Tensions in the region escalated after China began to turn seven reefs in the Spratly group, including Mischief, which is also claimed by US defence treaty ally the Philippines, into islands, including three with runways.

Such operations, Nauert said, get the "most attention" when they occur in the South China Sea.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.

Southeast Asian countries were seen to be making progress in the South China Sea dispute when foreign ministers from China and ten ASEAN countries endorsed the Conduct Code Framework in the South China Sea on August 6. Nicole Schwegman said all Navy operations "are conducted in accordance with global law and demonstrate that the United States will fly, sail, and operate wherever worldwide law allows".

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer undertook the "freedom of navigation" mission to challenge China's claim to the territory.

The U.S. military has a long-standing position that its operations are carried out throughout the world, including in areas claimed by allies, and they are separate from political considerations.

However, President Rodrigo Duterte has chosen to tread softly on the territorial dispute and refused to invoke the ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration that recognized the Philippines' claims over China's.