Explosion Confirmed At Major New York City Bus Terminal, Suspect Identified

Explosion Confirmed At Major New York City Bus Terminal, Suspect Identified

A Bangladeshi-origin man inspired by the Islamic State exploded a "low-tech device" in an underground station near Times Square in New York City on Monday, injuring himself and four others in an "attempted terrorist attack".

Police officers stand on a closed West 42nd Street near the New York Port Authority Bus Terminal after reports of an explosion in New York, Dec. 11, 2017. "Looks like that there were three other people in the immediate area also sustain minor injuries".

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio called the incident an "attempted terrorist attack", while Police Commissioner James O'Neill called it a "terror-related incident".

"At this point in time, all we know of is one individual who, thank God, was unsuccessful in his aims", Mayor de Blasio said.

"These fearless first responders and others who rushed to the scene are heroes", said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Ullah was subsequently taken into custody by law enforcement.

"We learned from his cousin that he had a wife and a baby in Bangladesh", Mr Mahmud said.

The New York Police Department's bomb squad was deployed to the scene.

"As New Yorkers our lives revolve around the subways". The device that was affixed to his body with Velcro and zip ties, NYPD deputy commissioner John Miler said.

Earlier, local news channel WABC cited police sources as saying a possible pipe bomb detonated in a passageway below ground at Port Authority.

Akayed Ullah is pictured in an undated photo released by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission. Subway trains were bypassing the Times Square station, the city's busiest.

Mr Trump said in a statement the suspect had entered the United States on a family immigrant visa, benefiting from a USA policy known as chain migration, which the president said "is incompatible with national security".

"In New York City, we are vulnerable to a lot of things", Frank said.

He also said, "This is NYC, we don't live in fear".

At least one person is injured and one person has been detained after a suspected pipe bombing in Manhattan Monday morning, according to PIX11.

Alicja Wlodkowski, 51, said she was inside a restaurant at the Port Authority when she saw a crowd of people running.

Details on how the suspect was apprehended were not immediately available, but the Port Authority Police Benevolent Association, a union representing Port Authority police officers, said on Twitter that the department's officers took down the suspect at gunpoint.

Speaking on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," former NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton, said the suspect "supposedly was setting the device off in the name of ISIS, so definitely a terrorist attack, definitely intended".

"The reality is that we are a target by many who would like to make a statement against democracy, against freedom", Cuomo said. "There was a struggle with him, they had to keep him from reaching the cell phone, obviously they had no idea what he was going to do with the cellphone".